Pages

Friday, September 12, 2014

Linux Mint 17: Mate Edition

Hi! I know its been a while since I've posted here, so I figured I'd make a comeback with a doozy of a video.
I've been practicing my screen and gameplay recording/streaming abilities to bring some interesting content to viewers in a way that is more multimedia package. As a "noob" in all things open source, the task is not easy and will certainly take time. After creating and destroying multiple installs of various Linux builds and distros on a spare harddrive- I've created the first of many in this lineup of videos with commentary. We have here, the newest member of the Mint family- Linux Mint 17 Quiana.



Like most modern Linux desktop distributions, Quiana is very easy to set up and use. With a few tweaks and modifications she can prove to be surprisingly powerful. Though not considered a particularly lightweight distribution I find Linux Mint 17 to actually be pretty nimble and responsive. With my Nvidia graphics card thrown in the mix, Quiana seems to handle it very well despite giving me some of the same pre-installation issues the other current Ubuntu derivatives did.


I would like to have this be a series of videos where I show off what new distros I'm trying out, each with a quick synopsis and review but I find myself torn. I had forgotten how nice and easy Linux Mint really is to use. Installing the programs I needed to extract video and run games were effortless. They all downloaded and installed without error and ran like butter when I called upon them. The only issues I ran into were getting the video card to run and that was mostly due to having to resort to the terminal (I have a love/hate relationship with the terminal).

As all good things must eventually come to an end, when I finally do decide to part with this stunning operating system you can expect to see more videos and rundowns. If you have a system you would like to see me try, let me know by sounding off in the comments!! In the meantime, keep an eye out for more videos here, and don't forget to pop on over to the digikast where you can listen in to our more frequent rants and ravings about all things tech, video games, and life.

Check out:
Linux Mint
Games Played Terribly by AwesomeRob029 and SherrysJoy
The Gamesmen RPG Podcast
DigiKast Diehard Destiny Group

Music:
Moosefrog - Come EP
https://archive.org/details/lokw001